If you live in the San Diego area, especially the communities north of downtown, you likely already know it’s that time of year again; time for the San Diego County Fair (formerly known as the Del Mar Fair). Although traffic this time of year often becomes the bane of many our existence, the fair has a multitude of events catering to all age groups. This year we’ve compiled a list of some of our favorite events and activities. We hope to see you at the Fab Fair this year, it runs June 7th– July 6th.
- No fair experience is complete without indulging in food concoctions you’ve never seen or even dared to dream of before. If you only have one day to go to the fair this year, consider choosing July 5th and invest in pants with an elastic waist. For all the pork lovers out there, Bacon Fest is not to be missed. The event features creative dishes from some of the best chefs nationwide.
- Looking to fill up on liquids instead of protein? The fair has you covered with not one, but two events. The wine festival takes place on June 14th and offers up unlimited 1 ounce wine samples. Give yourself a week of recovery and head back for the beer festival running June 20-22nd and featuring over 400 beers. Designated drivers are strongly encouraged.
- Has the wedding bug hit close to home? Whether you’re the bride-to-be or the maid of honor, this event is calling to you. My Big Fair Wedding Day takes place on June 29th and covers all things wedding related. Industry professionals are there to help you learn how to plan your perfect wedding and see the latest in wedding trends. If you have nuptials in your future, this event is for you.
- Although events are a great way to make a day out of the fair and offer a unique experience, don’t miss out on the vendor areas. Shopping at the fair can help you score some unique home décor, gifts and other crafts. Pro tip: bring a set amount of money.
- Consider taking a full day to spend some time lounging and checking out the different music stages. The fair has almost every kind of music available for concert goers. From acoustic shows to Electronic Fridays, every ear is sure to be pleased. This year the fair is also featuring 24 days of Beatles’ music. Check out the list of cover bands and join in on the Beatles tribute.
- If cars are your calling, buckle up because The Fab Fair has you in the driver’s seat. Each day features a different car display in the Arena Gate. The shows start when the fair opens. Make sure you check the schedule to find the days that feature your motor vehicle passion.
- Are you bringing kids to the fair? If so, head on over to Family Funville. This special area is designed specifically for kids and features activities the whole family can enjoy. It opens with the fair and stays active until about 9 p.m.; however, there may be exceptions so check the fair website before you go.
- Two words – adult rides. Who said fair rides were just for kids? One of the best parts about going to the fair is eating and hitting the rides – although maybe not in that order. Whether you’re heading to the fair to see a show or attend an event, take a few moments to relive your childhood!
- If you’re just in the mood for something kind of bizarre, try the Wild West Turkey Stampede. The event occurs each day at noon, 2:30 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. and involves wild turkeys chasing a radio-controlled truck. Why? Who knows, but it’s all in good fun!
- The fair is filled with fun and games, but what about good old fashioned competition? Competitive events have always been a tradition in fairs nationwide. If you have a competitive spirit, make your way to the San Diego County Fair and test your abilities. From photography, to homebrew and wine, there’s an event for your unique talent.
Learn more about events, happenings and daily deals at The Fab Fair by visiting www.sdfair.com.
Like what you see here? Sign up for more! Our free e-newsletter informs you of listings in your community, insider real estate tips, the latest in home trends, and more.