With Mother’s Day approaching, there’s no lack of ways to show Mom your appreciation before, on, or after May 10. Of course there are the standard brunches, flowers, and boxes of candy. But why not consider something less predictable? Here are some suggestions for making Mom’s day memorable:
- Listen to some legends: Musician Herb Alpert and vocalist Lani Hall headline the Ventura Music Festival May 8 with songs from their best-selling albums at Ventura High School Theatre. The festival is one of the county’s signature events, attracting upwards of 6,000 concertgoers each season. Multiple Grammy winners (Alpert founded Tijuana Brass, Hall was lead singer for Sergio Mendes’ iconic Brasil ’66), play to sold-out concerts audiences, so early ticket-buying is recommended. Website and tickets
- Brunch beneath Air Force One: If you do opt for brunch, might as well make it a presidential affair. Feast on a Mother’s Day meal fit for a First Family in Air Force One Pavilion at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation & Library in Simi Valley. This ninth annual event will feature an extravagant buffet with an enhanced selection of brunch favorites plus live music in a grand setting. A professional photographer will be on hand, and “Sunday best” attire is suggested. Information and RSVP
- Show her a killer time: “The Dinner Detective Murder Mystery Dinner Show” is a longtime Ventura favorite at the Pierpoint Inn. The May 9 show is sold out, but you can make Mom a suspect any other Friday night. You can even arrange a private show, or consider a gift certificate and plan ahead for a future night of food, fun, and detective work at the largest interactive murder-mystery comedy dinner show in the United States. With actors hidden among the guests, she’ll never know what the diner next to her is planning to do with that steak knife. Website and tickets
- Broadway comes to Simi Valley: “The World Goes ‘Round” is a stunning song-and-dance revue celebrating some of Broadway’s and Hollywood’s wittiest, sexiest, and most memorable songs. It’s playing through May 24 at the Simi Valley Cultural Arts Center, featuring numbers that helped launch the careers of such musical legends as Liza Minelli, Chita Rivera, and Barbara Streisand. Mom is sure to enjoy hits from “Cabaret,” “Chicago,” “Kiss of the Spider Woman,” “Funny Lady,” “New York, New York,” and many more from multiple Tony Award-winners John Kander and Fred Ebb. Information and tickets
- Multiple-choice meals in Ojai: The magnificent Ojai Valley Inn & Spa offers two choices for sumptuous dining May 10: Mother’s Day Buffet in the Anacapa Ballroom, and Breakfast Buffet at The Oak. The former includes a wide selection of traditional stations from fresh juices and pastries to omelets, salads, and waffles, along with a harpist. The latter is a bit smaller, featuring made-to-order omelets, fruit, cereals, bakery selections, and breakfast classics. Top it off with a spa experience for Mom to make her full, satisfied, and glowing with appreciation. Information
Like what you see here? Sign up for more! Our free e-newsletter informs you of listings in your community, insider real estate tips, the latest in home trends, and more.