With Mother’s Day approaching, there’s no lack of ways to show Mom your appreciation before, on, or after May 10–especially in a city as big as Los Angeles. Of course there are the traditional brunches, flowers, and boxes of candy. But why not consider something less predictable, maybe even daring? Here are some suggestions for making Mom’s day memorable:
- Upload to the clouds: Take her on an angel’s-eye view of the City of Angels with Los Angeles Tours. Climb aboard a Cessna or Piper aircraft for a 45-minute flight from Van Nuys Airport over downtown L.A., Hollywood, Santa Monica, and the San Fernando Valley. You might not see any celebrities, but you might see their homes from high above. Website and tickets
- Kisses and makeup: The Make-up Designory (MUD) invites mothers, daughters, friends, grandmothers, and anyone who loves makeup to learn how to achieve a gorgeous, glowing look that will make them feel even more beautiful. At a free two-hour demonstration workshop in Burbank on Mother’s Day, she’ll learn tips and tricks for a fresh look, plus 30 percent off all MUD products and 10 percent off MUD-approved products. Information and RSVP
- Bond with Mom in Beverly Hills: Go a little deeper than just “spending time with Mom” to make it a day she and you won’t soon forget. This two-hour-plus hour workshop will focus on the reinforcing, lifting, and keeping of the “mom bond” for both mother and child in life through the hereafter. Join mother/daughter team Dr. Aviva Boxer, OMD (doctor of Oriental medicine), and Chelsea Spann for “Because I Love You: A Mother’s Day Bonding Experience” at Riviera Euro-Comfort in Beverly Hills. Information and tickets
- Bike for cancer research in Long Beach: The 2015 Tour of Long Beach on May 9 is one of the premiere bicycle fundraising events on the West Coast. Mom, Dad, the kids, and grandkids can join the fun by participating in the five-mile Family Fun Ride, or a picturesque 30- or 62-mile course on the bike paths and streets of Long Beach, or pedal all the way to Laguna Beach. There’ll be a full-day bike festival with live entertainment, food, craft beer garden, and much more cycling and family-focused fun. Proceeds will support pediatric cancer research at Miller Children’s Hospital Long Beach. Information and registration
- Get down to “The Truth”: This musical stage play, debuting on Mother’s Day at Barnsdall Art Park Gallery Theater, brings awareness of important issues facing every community: marriage and divorce, domestic violence, health awareness, homelessness, unemployment, breast cancer, and more. It’s also about love, friendship, and relationships, and fills the stage with comedic and dramatic acting as well as soulful singing. A portion of proceeds will go to the My Sister My Friend Breast Cancer Support a Survivor Run. Information and tickets
Like what you see here? Sign up for more! Our free e-newsletter informs you of listings in your community, insider real estate tips, the latest in home trends, and more.