Finding the “best brunch” in any city depends a lot on your definition. Most food choices? Best price? Quality of ingredients? Overall dining experience?
As an international dining mecca, Los Angeles offers plenty of brunch choices for any type of cuisine and every budget. But where to start?
We’ve found five restaurants that serve at least one brunch a week in the sprawling city. Consider dining at one on your next visit, then vote with your palate on an online review site. There probably are more sites than restaurants, so check out the reviews before you commit your stomach to what should be a memorable meal.
- Malibu Pier Restaurant & Bar: The surf report is one of the first items on the menu at this upscale spot on the ocean end of the recently renovated pier. Brunch with a view is served weekends from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. The theme is beach house-nautical, studded with museum-worthy art, including rare Dennis Hopper photography, a Richard Phillips surfboard, and a Sally England macramé piece. Recent brunch selections included shrimp and grits, chicken and waffle, smoked salmon Benedict, and organic Malibu burger with grass-fed beef and gruyere cheese.
- The Culver Hotel: Down the street from the studios where “Gone with the Wind,” “The Wizard of Oz” and “I Love Lucy” were filmed is this historic boutique hotel with brunch on the menu 7-11 a.m. Monday through Friday, and 7 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. Choices include a continental breakfast buffet (through 10:30 a.m. daily); the John Wayne (corn tortilla, pan-roasted potatoes, two fried eggs, cheddar cheese, Spanish sauce, Black Forest ham on a skillet); quiche; and omelets. The Sunday brunch special includes coffee, tea, juice, breakfast breads, one brunch item, and bottomless mimosas.
- The Kitchen: You can’t miss The Kitchen. Every square inch of this trendy Silver Lake restaurant’s exterior is covered by an edgy mural from urban/graffiti artist David Choe. Inside, everything is fresh and made from scratch, including stocks and dressings. Brunch is a la carte on weekends 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Selected breakfast and lunch offerings include Dungeness crab cakes Benedict; eggs Tuscany (poached eggs on an English muffin with a red wine sauce, served with applewood-smoked bacon and breakfast potatoes); grilled lemon chicken; and tofu sauté. Locals suggest the focaccia roll instead of the wheat bun with burgers.
- Sagebrush Cantina Restaurant & Saloon: Way out west in Kardashian country, this popular San Fernando Valley joint sets out a massive free food spread weekdays 3-6 p.m., and 20 flat-screen TVs keep the crowds entertained. Kim and family have been known to dine on the sunny patio, as have other local celebs like Pink, Jessica Simpson and The Rock. The “world-famous Sunday brunch” is spread out 10 a.m.-2 p.m. and features an omelet station; seafood bar including caviar; carving station for ham, turkey, beef brisket, pork ribs, and roast beef; main buffet with waffles, pancakes, bagels, lox, cream cheese, potato pancakes, fajitas and more; and dessert bar with chocolate fountain, bananas Foster, cheesecakes, and soft-serve ice cream bar. Not only all that, but you also get bottomless champagne, fresh-squeezed orange juice, two shots of flavored vodka, and all-you-can drink soft drinks. Come hungry, leave stuffed.
- Chez Mélange: While many restaurants last only a few years, Chez Mélange has been a Redondo Beach favorite for 33. Chef Robert Bell uses locally sourced, seasonal ingredients to create a daily-changing menu. On Sundays, brunch is served from 9:30 a.m.-2 p.m. Smaller plates include beignets; chorizo tostada; “An Egg in Purgatory” (baked egg, tomato sauce, and butter); larger plates are grilled Monte Cristo sandwich; and migas con huevos (chorizo, tomato, caramelized onions, olive oil, garlic, oregano, breadcrumbs scrambled with eggs, tomatoes, olive oil, and goat cheese).
- 1611 S. Catalina Ave., Redondo Beach, CA 09277, chezmelange.com, 310.540.1222
Like what you see here? Sign up for more! Our free e-newsletter informs you of listings in your community, insider real estate tips, the latest in home trends, and more.